...It costs nothing to write and run .NET desktop apps that access the
central i5.
We were talking ASP.NET, not C# on the desktop. You're switching gears now.
When you switch from browser to desktop the whole argument changes as there
is no native way to run RPG on a Windows desktop (yet).

As far as people worrying about be locked into Windows and all that, there
is arguably more risk in using the latest fave of IBM ( VisualRPG anyone? )

I agree that Windows is here to stay and it should be leveraged
appropriately, but there are ways you can dictate where the median between
C#.NET and RPG resides. I think too much is put into the C#.NET camp which
makes for mindshare problems in shops because it is only a matter of time
before the next xyz language gets introduced. Nip it in the bud :-)

On a last note, I agree that VARPG was another classic IBM mishap (along the
same lines as Net.Data). You know, you can almost smell a technology that
they are going to later drop support for as soon as they release it. Part
of that has to do with the RPG communities acceptance to change, but VARPG
had problems right out of the gate (i.e. syntax being a release behind the
current RPG release).

Aaron Bartell
http://mowyourlawn.com