Nathan,

No, I'm giving background like one sometimes need to understand the
environment and what's needed. You know the answer about how the users
see themselves.

Why address the problem with a browser... well besides the fact that
its the way modern applications are built and 5250 emulators are
expensive compared to browers and require extra maintenance support by
on site people, our canned packages are moving off green screen and
going to Web based GUI. So, I need to modernize and follow suite.
I'm not addressing requirements for a small user group, its the entire
user community of the i5.

Dave

Nathan Andelin <nandelin@xxxxxxxxx> 5/31/2007 10:35 >>>
Dave,

Are you asking for technical advise in order to address a human
relations problem. Would the users agree they're spoiled and have way
too many privileges? Why address the problem with a browser interface?
Would they be happier with their current 5250 interface?

It seems to me that the choice of web development architecture isn't
that important when addressing the requirements of just a few
applications serving just a few users. Architectural questions are more
relevant if you're talking about developing say an entire ERP suite that
may potentially serve say thousands of users. Otherwise it seems to me
that most organizations just drift into one tool/interface or another
based on their current skill set and the target platform. In the case
of an i5 platform and RPG language skill set, then the tools mentioned
by Brad Stone seem appropriate. On the other hand, if you're the one
charged with developing the application I don't see any reason to not
continue using .aspx pages.

Nathan M. Andelin