From: Dave Odom <Dave.Odom@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: web400@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 2007 2:06:45 PM
Subject: [WEB400] Recommendations of web development architecture/tool for
diverse i5 access...

What architecture/language/tool would you all recommend for developing
an in-house web application that provides the following:

- Menu items that allow users to invoke certain limited i5 commands,
submit specific i5 jobs, invoke specific i5 programs built in REXX and
other languages under a secondary userid with authorities
- Display current and other user's spoolfiles using another userid with
authorities
- And administrative function that easily allows IS to grant and revoke
access to specific users to individual menu items built in the web
application.

What I'm trying to do is:

- build a web application that will allow some very spoiled users that
have had WAY to many privileges, access to certain specific capabilities
without giving them all the special authorities
they've had in the past.
- build it with a language or tool that has robust capabilities but
doesn't take a master to build anything, supports rapid application
development, is flexible enough to grow with the needs of the business,
doesn't cost a arm and a leg, uses a common language for which there are
human resources easily available on the market

I've done i5 Web applications in .ASP, HTML, Javascript and can do this
job with those tools once again but there might be a better mousetrap
out there so thought I'd ask. I have WebSphere and I think its
Developer tools available on the i5.

Thanks in advance for your advice,

Dave Odom