From: web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of albartell
Sent: Thursday, May 31, 2007 1:43 PM
To: 'Web Enabling the AS400 / iSeries'
Subject: Re: [WEB400] Recommendationsofwebdevelopmentarchitecture/tool
for diverse i5 access...

PHP is a very nice language for developing applications quickly without
much complication. I haven't written serious business apps with PHP and
instead have used it more as a alternative to Java when not on the i5.
The biggest bummer I see with PHP is that you don't have the nice and
easy DB access that RPG has with CHAIN, READ, READE, etc. Some might
not consider that a bummer at all. Some would debate PHP as an
enterprise ready infrastructure (I believe I have in the past), but it
is getting some serious acceptance from the world and Zend is constantly
fine tuning it for the enterprise.

My experience with PHP on the i5 is limited as the Zend install I tried
failed miserably. I must note that it was the beta version for V5R3.
They have since release full support for PHP on V5R3 and it would
probably work just fine now - just my experience with PHP on the i5.

If I had to put an order of precedence for picking technologies to build
web pages for i5 RPG shops here is the order I would go. Obviously
there are many variables involved, so this list could be debated on many
fronts and I would probably agree with a number of the debates.
Anyways, here is my direction today:

RPG CGI on the i5 (eRPGSDK, Profound Logics RPGsp is also a very nice
option, CGIDEV2, etc) PHP on the i5 Java on the i5 (Tomcat as servlet
engine) PHP on Linux in i5 partition Java on Linux in i5 partition

And lastly, on an academic level, I would love to do Ruby On Rails on
the i5. It can be done today on i5OS theoretically, but I haven't had
time to prove my theory:-)

You'll notice I have them all on the i5. IMO there is a lot of benefit
to having everything on one integrated hardware platform. The i5 is
built to facilitate this. Many companies don't realize that allowing
another language or platform in the door can make for a mess in 10 years
when you have 5 languages on numerous platforms to support. Just think
of all the different conferences you would have to send your staff to
for starters!

My $.02,
Aaron Bartell
http://mowyourlawn.com