Mr. B. -

I share the similar experience as you are going through.

From John & Susan point of view, I did chat with them at the IBM Technical Conference in Pre-New Orleans and they recommend PC with 1gb or more to run the RSE apps. More the better!

As for setting up iSeries Access for Web, I attended the conference for that..and it was WAY over my head. Especially meeting the necessary hardware requirements to run the apps on the AS/400 system...our current system hardware is not capable to run it efficiently. But I do recommend you continue on your quest to learn and play with it on your system.

gil

B Hamren wrote:

I have been searching many of these posts looking for a basic 1,2,3 on getting started in something
other than traditional "AS/400" ways of doing things. Notice I did not say iSeries or
"System i" since all the systems I have ever worked on are truly only AS/400 in nature. I
have used SEU from S/34 to S/36 to S/38 to AS/400. Once I went to Common and saw Paul Conte's demo
on FlexEdit and convinced our shop to go that route. That meant buying 5 Intel 486 based PC's
@$2500 each, 5 Twinax boards @ $500 each, 5 FlexEdit licences at @500 each, and then we ended up
not using it since it did not save the source change dates in the members.

Since I left that job in 1998 I have worked in shops that are primitive. Here
are some examples of what I mean:
 a.. Running ancient packages written in RPG Auto-report or S/36 environment or
(currently) a package ported from the S/38 that still uses F1 for exit.
 b.. No money in the budget for any type of training or Common conferences
 c.. No desire for any change from the old, stable green screen programs
Now I am on an 810 running V5R4. I went to a presentation this summer by Gary
Konicek of IBM Rochester at our local ASU user group in Columbus, Ohio. He gave
out a .pdf file on the software side of V5R4 announcements (a technical
overview). I now have time to try some of these things and I want to know where
to start.

Here is what I have tried and where it stands:

1. I followed Jon Paris and Susan Gantner's "A Quick Start to Using RSE" to the
point where I installed WDSC on my work PC (even though I don't meet the minimum specs -
I am running on an old Compaq with Windows 2000 Professional with only 256Mb of memory).
It bogged down my system so much even having it installed I disabled it all. I would try
it on my personal laptop which is fairly new and has 1 Gb of memory if I thought it
wouldn't bog it down also.

2. I am trying to figure out how to install iSeries Access for Web. That led me
to this newsgroup where I have followed a few threads but have not seen the ABC
method I need yet.

Thanks everyone in advance,

Blair Hamren