Joe--

Sounds like we are on the same page in many ways. A couple of extensions...

1. I like Ruby. As far as I can tell, it's a pretty well designed example of a dynamically typed language: closer to Smalltalk (which I liked, BTW)
than most other languages.

agree, though haven't yet gotten as deeply into Ruby as Rails, see nice touches all the time

2. I like Rails. It's a good implementation of what it tries to do: make
programming easy by relying on convention.

here think there's a bit more going on - people keep saying what it's trying to do is "make programming easy" and don't think that's the whole story unless "while providing for complexity by allowing extension" and "while not shirking the big issues which always come up" are added

it's far from easy to wrap your head around something new that does things in different ways from what you've used before, especially if that "while not shirking the big issues" thing is in there, so if you're going to do it, there had better be some depth and lucid reasons for the choices which have been made, and with Rails am finding that's there, as long as you're willing to learn about it

My problems are this: neither one of these things (dynamically typed
scripting languages or programming by convention) are proven to actually work in enterprise level projects, whereas other environments (RPG, J2EE, even VB/ASP) have proven track records. So to talk about Ruby or RoR as a technology that is going to supplant others is, to my mind, just a little
irresponsible.

not thinking he said it would supplant them, just (from your quote...)

 People are  beginning to wonder if Rails will throw J2EE and .aspx
development on their respective ears. I agree that's pretty imaginative.
How could a few young  programmers, collaborating in an open-source
environment, challenge some of the most powerful corporations on earth?

many ways to interpret "...on their respective ears."

also see "I agree that's pretty imaginative."

it's ramped up quickly, and a lot of "cool kid" energy is going into it that might have been channeled into other platforms - the sense of community is strong, for a local flavor see...

http://ruby.meetup.com/cities/us/il/oak_brook/?chapter=closed

And me personally, I have no use for yet another tool to do quick an dirty programming, no matter how easy it is. Unless it is proven to work in an enterprise environment it's not something I'm going to use much. And even
then, if the people behind the project are just as important as the
technology itself.

rails is very far from Q&D, while it is rapid and very structured, it's also very definitely clean and DRY (Don't Repeat Yourself)

I only have to point to the vast number of Struts applications that are now behind the technology curve to indicate how an open source technology, no matter how well received by the community, can just as quickly wither and die when there is a schism among the developers and someone influential
jumps ship.

this is a risk in very early stages with any technology, believe rails has been past this in its evolution for some time, is gathering momentum for many valid reasons

thx & hth,

--Jerome

From: Jerome Hughes

Joe--

(wrote this last night, but held off sending it... also not looking
for a debate, but perhaps can present another view, my friend...)