On Mon, 15 May 2006 10:10:01 -0400
 "Seth Newton" <snewton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Aaron,
>
> The main point Joe makes in his analysis is that "with
> CGI, the templates
> have to be reinterpreted over and over again".  He is
> referring to a
> technology like CGIDEV2, which searches replacement
> variables in templates
> -- a major performance flaw.  So, CGI is not the cause of
> performance
> issues, it's how CGIDEV2 implements CGI.  If someone
> wrote raw CGI, it
> wouldn't have that problem.

Seth, then the argument would be you're not separating
business and UI logic, and maintenance would be horrific.

The performance impact from replacment variables inside of
templates is really not that bad.  I've run tests on raw
CGI vs. template and depending on the implementation of the
replacements it's barely noticable.

My eRPGSDK vs raw HtML there is nearly no difference even
with 10k iterations/replacements.  But, CGIDEV2 does slow
down exponentially with the more iterations there are.

> I am used to working with CGI from RPGsp (www.RPGsp.com),
> which allows you
> to embed RPG variables into HTML templates.  However, the
> templates are not
> searched at runtime.  The pages are compiled in a similar
> way JSP's are
> created, and that's why it's fast ... most likely faster
> than equivalent
> JSP's.

Explain how this works.  how can data from a DB be replaced
anywhere except for runtime.

Any time you're building dynamic applications data HAS to
be inserted/replaced/built at runtime.

Brad