Jon,

I have, which is why I counter with my comments.   But it seems my
message is oft not understood or isn't the "kool-aid."

>From what many of the folks write... if their comments were read or
heard by others in the IT industry, they would make similar comments,as
I ...that you all are being an evangelist for the box AS IS,  "RPG
record level access is faster than SQL",  "RPG is great (or the like)"
"Its good we can do both SQL and record level access" or other comments
that say how wonderful the AS IS box is.

Joh, there is NO doubt the iSeries is a GREAT box, but its evangelists,
when seen and heard from the outside world and by those making the
buying decisions about an RDBMS box, are seen and heard as preaching a
foreign language (RPG record-at-a-time processing is faster than
SQL,etc.)   And it's a foreign language that doesn't sound like the
mainstream, nor modern, nor something that has lots of support or
understanding, etc.,and not something they want to invest in.    So, to
your statement "others here spend hours of every day trying to help
others improve the image of the box".    I'm trying to help them
understand...

"Its the wrong improvement message".

Therefore, it is not a "wild generalization" to say, you're not
materially helping to improve the image of the box by touting its
"legacy" attributes when the rest of the IT world sees that as from
another planet.

So, I counter with things like:

- Start talking and doing like the normal RDBMS world (Yes, that means
SQL (move away from the "native access"), that means talking and doing
tables, views, columns, rows,  indexes, DDL, DML, DCL,etc, not PF,LF,
records, etc.
- Embrace those things that will get you noticed by the other RDBMS
world as being somewhat like them
- Move your apps from RPG, when possible, to C and C++ so you're using
a modern standard language
- How about talking about someone's star or snowflake schema (talk
Tables and Rows) Data Warehouse or Data Mart using the latest in OLAP
and decision support tools?
- Let those considering using SQL Server and ORACLE as seeing the
iSeries as a modern platform that competes, at least, toe-to-toe with
those platforms and does it better, faster and cheaper.

The iSeries/AS/400 has an up-hill image battle and you won't win it
without competing on, at least, the same terms as your competition.
Trying to help you all see yourselves as the rest of the world sees you
and help you change to save the platform and people's jobs.

Sincerely,

Dave

>>> Jon.Paris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx 2/24/2006 15:37:59 >>>
 >> It's not a "wild generalization" to say that most hereon don't talk
in
the same industry standard terms

No it is not - but that _wasn't_ what you said.  You made a very
specific
comment directed at those who had contributed to the thread.  In that
context calling it a "wild generalization" was appropriate.  Would you
prefer I had said "libelous"?

I know that Joe, Aaron and others here spend hours of every day trying
help others improve the image of the box.  All I'm asking is that you
read
the posts of others (and for that matter your own) before posting.

Jon Paris
Partner400

www.Partner400.com
www.RPGWorld.com