Mike,

Totally agree, but when most CIOs are asked to do more with less and
asked to justify the cost, popularity AND availability of long term
support personnel, of an iSeries vs. Microsoft OR what everyone else is
using (I know, keep up with the Jones concept but that's a reality faced
by many CIOs) the CIO can find him/herself in a pickle; ESPECIALLY if
the screen is NOT GUI and it doesn't look and feel like Windows.

You see, I've been in the shoes of a CIO and worked with many of them
and know how they and the CxO level thinks.   That's why I try and warn
folks on here of the way their favorite platform is headed if
perceptions are not changed.   Windows and its products are not top
sellers because of their technological excellence and being rock solid
steady.   They were marketed well by external and INTERNAL folks because
of how they looked and operated.

Take care,

Dave

>>> meovino@xxxxxxxxx 2/24/2006 13:43:40 >>>
Dave,

If your CIO is willing to pitch a system that is giving users both the
functionality and speed that they want to go with something else, then
your CEO should be looking for a new CIO.

Mike E.

On 2/24/06, Dave Odom <Dave.Odom@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Mike,
>
> You are one of the very few that have responded to this that GET IT
and
> has done something to improve the image of the platform!!   And you
did
> it with the Presentation Layer which is the "wiz bang/blinking
lights"
> that most users and mangers see.  Kudos to you!!    However, the
back
> end technology IS looked at by lots of CIOs and the like and what
they
> see and hear is the iSeries is not even considered by the rest of the
IT
> world to be a real RDBMS and it still uses the obscure (to them) RPG
> language.   So, perception is problem Presentation and Data Base
Layers.
>   I grant you the Presentation layer is a great place to start.
>
> Now if I can just get others to "see the light", follow suit and
turn
> around the perception.   But until that happens the platform's
> competitive status is in jeopardy.
>
> Take care,
>
> Dave

> On 2/23/06, Joe Pluta <joepluta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > The truth is that most anything you can do in SQL outside of a few
> > vendor-specific extensions you can do on the iSeries.  And then,
when
> you
> > need extra performance, you can go to native I/O.  In fact, RPG is
> the only
> > language I know of that allows you to access your database both
ways,
> which
> > in my mind makes it leading edge!
>
> If we're worried about perception, why are we talking about back-end
> technologies?  The folks who are managing by in-flight magazine and
> making IT decisions are doing so because they believe that 5250 is
> dated technology (and I'm not going to debate the validity of this
> belief as I believe there are situations for both 5250 and GUI [and
> am my company's webmaster]).
>
> We are rewriting and enhancing a 5250 application (very little data
> entry, mostly inquiry, a great candidate for a GUI) using JSP/Java
> (running on WebSphere on iSeries) dealing with the iSeries back end.
> We have a mix of record level access and SQL, RPG program calls, and
> some MQT's mixed in for good measure.  Our users are going NUTS over
> this.  They are all telling us that they "did not know that the
AS/400
> could do this."  It's been able to do this for years; it's the IT
> staff that hasn't been able to do this (not enough web guys to put
on
> an internal project until now).  The users ASSUME the platform is
old
> and incapable because we are not producing the kinds of apps they
> want.
>
> We have all the tools we need to provide world-class GUI
applications.
>  If we can provide applications that meet or exceed user
expectations