From: web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Dave Reiher/prairiefarms
Sent: Wednesday, August 24, 2005 10:39 AM
To: Web Enabling the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: RE: [WEB400] WAS 5.1 Express Performance

Matt,

Yeah, I checked that earlier, the non-DB page rate is just over 100.
Right now the partition is only getting about 768MB of memory and it
does
not have a full processor allocated.

I personally think beefing up this partition will make things better. I
am
looking for opinions like yours to help me plead my case.
However, our remote locations all have terrible PC's in place, Pentium
2's
and 3's running Win98. I think this is another big part of the problem.
But I don't think a (mostly) Windows guy like me is going to sell the
thought of buying new pc's to the rest of the gang in my 400 shop.

The PC's have caused all sorts of grief, especially printing. Even
though
the download for IBM's AFP viewer says that it supports Win98, believe
me
it does not.
I switched over to TIFF for printing, works great on one 98 machine, but

then on the other machine I have to save files to hard drive before
viewing the TIFF's, otherwise I get an invalid document name when it
tries
to open it. Right now I am having our folks jump through hoops to get
their reports printing.

PDF should work, but I get errors because some java classes are missing,

it looks like it is looking for classes on the 400 that I am pointing
them
to, but this 400 is not even running iSeries for Web, which I assume is
why the PDF server could not start. Then again, PDF's might turn out to
be
slower on PC's that I am dealing with...........

    Dave Reiher
    System Analyst
    Prairie Farms Dairy - Corporate
    Ph: 217.854.2547 ext. 254
    dreiher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"Haas, Matt" <Matt.Haas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
08/24/2005 09:10 AM
Please respond to
Web Enabling the AS400 / iSeries <web400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

"Web Enabling the AS400 / iSeries" <web400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
RE: [WEB400] WAS 5.1 Express Performance

Dave,

Did you allocate a full processor to this partition? If not, Java
performance will suffer. How much memory did you allocation? Simple apps
need at least 1 GB for decent performance. Watch the non-DB page rate on
WRKSYSSTS. IBM says keep it under 100 for best performance.

Is performance okay locally? If it's remote people having problems, it
may just be limitations of the connection they are using or network
configuration issues.

Matt