It was free but I don't think it was ever open source was it ? Giovanni created all the code (maybe with some help) but I don't think the code was ever available for download.

CGIDEV2 was not written by Giovanni, it was written by Mel Rothman.

When you download CGIDEV2 from IBM (including the version that's there now) you get the code for it. (and always have!) If you look at www-922.ibm.com, it claims that Easy400 is an Open Source site.

In fact, it says (copy & paste):

  3. Free Redistribution

     a. Any party is allowed to redistribute the Easy400 software,
        provided this is done at no charge and together with the related
        source.
     b. Any party is allowed to sell or give away the Easy400 software
        as a component of an aggregate software containing programs from
        several sources.

However, if you go to Giovanni's new site, www.easy400.net, it says that IBM has made all of the Easy400 tools open source EXCEPT CGIDEV2.

Like I said, it's difficult to tell what that means. Just including the source code and allowing derivative works are not necessarily enough to make something open source. The definition of Open Source can be found at the following link:
  http://www.opensource.org/docs/definition.php