I have a WAS that I am trying to end using the browser interface.  It says
stopping, then goes back to running.  Job stays in this * - COMMIT phase.
Other WAS's end properly.

Job         User        Type     -----Status-----  Function
QEJBMQLSR   QEJBSVR     BATCHI   ACTIVE            PGM-RUNMQLSR
WAS5PORTAL  QEJBSVR     BATCH    ACTIVE            *  -COMMIT

Job log has lots of:
SQL7908-Job 544445/QUSER/QSQSRVR used for SQL server mode processing.
Display commitment control status, if active;    shows nothing.

wrkJob 544445/QUSER/QSQSRVR
shows no lock WAITs but lots of files in a library called PORTALDB with
*SHRRD.
Display commitment control status, if active;     shows:
Commitment
Definition     Text
*DFTACTGRP     Default activation group

According to the help on *-COMMIT:
*  - COMMIT
    The initial thread of the job; is performing a commit operation.
    Ending the job or the system during a commit operation is not
    recommended.  For details, see the section titled "Commitment
    Control during Abnormal System or Job End" in the Backup and
    Recovery - Advanced book.

At this point I normally adopt a devil-may-care attitude and just drop the
subsystem.

OS/400 = V5R3
PTF Group             Level  Status
SF99530                4272  Installed
SF99529                  37  Not installed
SF99503                   3  Not installed
SF99295                   1  Installed
SF99287                   6  Unknown
SF99282                   3  Unknown
SF99269                   4  Installed
SF99185                   4  Installed
SF99139                   1  Installed
SF99099                   2  Installed

Ok, so I did notice some funky things about ptf's after the last IPL.  One
was damaged and I removed it and downloaded it again, reloaded it and
applied it.  However several others are in a chicken and egg contest and I
set them to DELAYED(*YES) and I am hoping the next IPL beats them into
submission.
SF99287               WebSphere App Server V5.0 (Base Edition)
SF99282               WebSphere Portal Express/Express Plus Service Pack

Rob Berendt
--
Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073