From: Reeve [mailto:rfritchman@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 01 February 2005 07:27
To: Web Enabling the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: Re: [WEB400] Opinions Wanted

<Chuckle>Joe, you sound like the Video Professor!  Will you refund the
shipping and handling?</chuckle>

Your statement explaining the benefits of WebSphere have nothing to do with
WebSphere; I can accomplish the same thing with CGIDEV2.  We'll agree
browser-based applications have merit and we don't need to get into
quantification.  So, the only question is how we get the application to a
browser.

I'd think tools and utilities for managing JSP's should be high on Toronto's
list.

-reeve

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 20:03:56 -0600, Joe Pluta <joepluta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> > From: Reeve
> >
> > WebSphere may be IBM's Grand Design but the learning curve is steep,
>
> You haven't had the right teacher.  I teach RPG programmers how to
> build web apps in an hour and a half.  I teach architectures in a
> week.  The amount of Java required to write a web application is
> roughly equivalent to the amount of CL required to build an ERP
> application.
>

> > it requires lots of power,
>
> That depends.  Java runs better on a 270 than a 170, and better on an
> i5 than an iSeries.  The JVM needs dedicated memory; 512MB is pretty
> much the minimum.  So an underpowered iSeries isn't going to like
> running WebSphere.
>
> If you're absolutely up against the wall on hardware, you can put a
> Linux box on the side of your machine for about $1000.  Of course,
> that means you need to know how to run Linux and if you're complaining
> about learning a couple hundred lines of Java then you'd probably have
> a seizure learning Linux.
>

> > and I have yet to see a clear, concise
> > statement of WebSphere's current benefits
>
> WebSphere provides browser-based access to business logic written in
> RPG.  There's your current benefits.  Browser-based access to allow
> you to move into the future (not to mention eliminating the
> interactive tax), while at the same time 95% or more of your code is
> written in RPG, leveraging your current skill set.  And you can sit at
> that combination of components until you retire.  BUT, if you're so
> inclined, you can also move ahead into more and more Java, taking
> advantage of existing libraries that let you do graphics and PDFs and
> email and whatever else you might want to do.  But you don't have to.
>

> > Many of us don't have the
> > resources,  inclination, or background to struggle with the
> > WebSphere infrastructure.  Any moderately competent RPG programmer
> > can learn a little HTML (or find some high school kind to do it) and
> > put together a decent business application in a couple of days.
>
> Any competent RPG programmer can learn enough Java to write a web
> application.  Hell, you can buy my WDSC book and have it walk you
> through an entire application from the ground up.  If you can't do
> this, it's not the language's fault.
>

> > I suggest the following: formal support for CGIDEV2, additional
> > functionality for CGIDEV2, getting VisualAge RPG up to V5R3,
> > application development tools tailored to support the strengths of
> > i5/OS, a utility to create workable HTML from DDS (use the Webfacing
> > engine), and a Red Book with lots of practical (meaning "not written
> > by lab folks") examples designed to illustrate principles, concepts,
> > and approaches (two examples of useful topics: how to
> > redesign/rewite a multi-format inquiry screen program to work in the
> > Web enviroment and how to redesign/rewrite a program to manage a
> > persistent connection for an update program, this one bring very
> > important).

> [...]

This e-mail has been sent by a company of Bertram Group Ltd, whose registered
office is 1 Broadland Business Park, Norwich, NR7 0WF.
This message, and any attachments, are intended solely for the addressee and
may contain privileged or confidential information.  If you are not the
If you believe that you have received this email in error, please contact the
sender immediately. Opinions, conclusions and statements of intent in this
e-mail are those of the sender and will not bind a Bertram Group Ltd company
unless confirmed in writing by a director independently of this message.
Although we have taken steps to ensure that this email and any attachments are
free from any virus, we advise that in keeping with good computing practice the
recipient should ensure they are actually virus free.