On Fri, 2004-04-16 at 13:38, Joe Pluta wrote:
> Anyway, if you're stuck with RPG and RPG-CGI, then Colin and I are
> probably the wrong people to ask.  Oh... have you tried Net.data?  It's
> fast and free and people swear by it.

I've been avoiding this discussion because I appear to be a rarity: I
know Servlets and JSP, and I still prefer RPG-CGI.  Actually, I prefer
PHP, but that is another story altogether...

Rick:
As far as picking a CGI toolkit to use, I think any of them will serve
you well.  I tend to be a purist <aside>Notepad is the best IDE! ;-)
</aside>.  As a result, I have used eRPG exclusively for CGI.  That
being said, from a purely maintenance standpoint, I would not recommend
it. If you could do some kind of replacement method that allows you to
design your pages independently of your logic, then I think you'll be
happier in the long run.

The options available in CGIDEV2 and Bob's Toolkit and others like it
will make your life easier, take advantage of them.

Joe:
I'm having a performance problem on a test page I set up, I know it's
off topic, but do you have any ideas?  There are three JSP expressions
in this JSP and it takes anywhere from 15-20 seconds to deliver.  Here
is the link: http://www.vamanet.com/suite/test.jsp

This is running in Tomcat on the same machine my CGI stuff is running.
I'm also running another webapp on here and it is fine.  If I remove the
three Java functions from this JSP, then it delivers fine, but what is
the use in that?

You can see the JSP source
here:http://www.rpgnext.com/codesamples/test.txt

I set this up just to test my webapp configuration and balked at the
performance problems.  I need to get past this because my newest project
will be entirely Servlet/JSP oriented, precisely because of the
portability.

Thanks!

Joel
http://www.rpgnext.com