----- Quote begins ---------------------------------------------------------

-----Original Message-----
From: web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]On
Behalf Of Colin Williams
Don,

the way I would do this is to give all the check boxes in a group that I
want to check, the same name,

<form name="myForm>
      <INPUT TYPE=CHECKBOX NAME="check1" VALUE="*ALL">All Contact Types<BR>
      <INPUT TYPE=CHECKBOX NAME="check1" VALUE="COM MGR" checked>Compliance
Manager<BR>
      <INPUT TYPE=CHECKBOX NAME="check1" VALUE="REG MGR">Regional Manager<BR>
      <INPUT TYPE=CHECKBOX NAME="check1" VALUE="GEN MGR">checked>General
Manager<BR>

to check if the checkboxes are selected:

for (i=0;i<myForm.check1.length;i++)
{
    if (myForm.check1[i].selected == true)
    {

(Im assuming your checking this in your client side javascript?)

------Quote Ends --------------------------------------------------

No I am using an RPG program to present HTML pages and retrieve the user
entries (via CGIDEV2)

But I am not against using embedded javascript if that is the only way to do
this.  What I need though is to be able to retrieve the contents of VALUE of
all the checked checkboxes and write a record in a DB2 file for each one.  So I
would have to be able to pass the value back to the RPG program associated with
the submit button.  Can I use javascript to write a value to a hidden input
field (/%hiddenCheckboxVal%/ so that the RPG can do a ZhbGetVar and retrieve
it?  Sort of a (syntax is hypothetical):
   hiddenCheckboxVal = myForm.check1[i].selected.value?

but even if I could I would still need to write an unkwnown number of hidden
fields, one for each checked checkbox.

P.S. I got called away to home unexpectedly yesterday or I would have responded
earlier to the answers posted.