Jim Franz wrote:

What exactly does management want to know?

Hans,
A very good point. This is coming from the owner, and he, in a very
non-tech way wants to know if his site is being viewed. They did not want
to pay for any placements, but I did post to as many search engines as I
could find. The meta tags are filled for the crawlers. It is a very simple
"brochure" site, on an extremely limited budget. I've already created a
query over the log files, and filter it to an ip address and date, so he can
get "visits" and see if amyone comes back. Hopefully they will want to move
beyond brochure.
jim

You raise a good question: How to increase the hit rate for your site? Just submitting the page to the search engines isn't really enough. Consider Google for instance, which is pretty much the default search tool for most of us these days. They rank sites based on how many *other* web sites link to them. So the key is to get links to your site from others. More specifically, other sites that are already indexed by Google. That is, there's not much point in having a link to your site from a page that only registered site members can get to, and not the GoogleBot.

Unfortunately, getting links to your site isn't quite as easy as it sounds. If your company were in an iSeries related business, you could go to <http://resources.midrange.com/> and add your site there for a start. For other types of businesses, you'd have to hunt around for similar sites.

Ideally, you want others to find your site, then explicitly recommend your site on their own web sites or blogs unsolicited. Each time that happens, your rank in Google increases.

What you want to avoid is schemes that promise increased web hits. The developers at Google are pretty sharp and can usually spot attempts to artificially increase Google rank.

Cheers! Hans