Nicolas

Thank you for your help

I haven't had a chance yet to try your suggestion as I am currently trying to solve another problem, but I will do so soon. However, as a large part of the form is generated, I cannot move the code to the end. I have seen text book examples that I assume work where the script code is earlier than the button definitions.

Your code has taught me things that I didn't know about Javascript that are most helpful. I will certainly try mozilla.

Rob Dixon

nicolas faucheux wrote:

the javascript code is placed to high in the page
the browser executes it before the buttons at the bottom are created

place the folowing code after the end of the form
function cbt(letter, newText) {
var buttons = document.forms[0].elements[session + "/BUTTON.999-999=*" +
letter];
for (var i=0;i<buttons.length;i++) {
 buttons[i].value = newText;
}
}
cbt('E', "Enter/OK");
cbt('U', "Earlier");

try mozilla browser http://www.mozilla.org, it has a much better javascrit
debugger than IE

nicolas

"Rob Dixon" <rob.dixon@xxxxxxxxxxx> a écrit dans
le message de news:3FFC1693.1030906@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Using Javascript, I am trying to change the text displayed on buttons
generated by AS/400 WSG, from F1, F2, etc. to my own labels.

The buttons include the session name as part of their own name, followed
by "/BUTTON.999.999="?", so I have to retrieve this.

The question mark represents a unique character such as "E" or "U" or
"V" or "1", etc.

To retrieve the session name, my code is

var session=(document.getElementById('SESSION').value);

I use

var buttonname = session + "/BUTTON.999-999=*E"; (for the Enter button)

to identify the the button I require, using "E" or "U" or "V" instead of
the questions mark.

The code that actually changes the button text is

document.getElementById(buttonname).value= "Enter/OK";

This works fine and I can change the first three buttons at the top of
the screen , but my code only changes the top instances of those
buttons, not the repeats with the same name at the bottom of the screen.

However, these are not the buttons I wish to change.  If I attempt
change any of the F1 - F24 buttons by using the same code but by
changing the

code

var buttonname = session + "/BUTTON.999-999=*E";  (for the Enter button)
to (say)
var buttonname = session + "/BUTTON.999-999=*1";  (for the F1 button)

I get the message 'document.getElementById(...)' is null or not an

object.

It may be a coincidence that the only buttons that I can change are the
duplicates at the top of the screen

Has anyone got any bright ideas please?  I have only doing Javascript
for 5 days and I cannot find the answer in any of the books that I
purchased.

the total code (which could be neater but I want to get it to work
first!) is