Joe....

I need and will keep control over the flow of a business application
that requires more than just a single panel of interaction.  In the
arena of business applications multiple screen interactions are the
norm, and in that world, you don't just exit an order entry application
in the middle and go start an A/R transaction.  Thus, control over the
UI is not only acceptable, it's required.

(With all due respect)

Let's just say that if you failed to provide a robust, customizable user
interface in my organization, you would have a
finding assigned to you in peer review.  You would not be able to deploy your
application until you either: 1) corrected
your deficient design or 2) obtained a waiver.   Peter could get a waiver for
his kiosk application.  You probably
couldn't get passed peer review until you made some changes to respect the
browser.

Control of a flow of a business application does not equal "need" to control
over the UI.  Facts not in evidence, your
honor.

If the user wants to get out of order entry to go start A/R, let them make the
choice.  If it means they throw work
away, so be it.  At least they had a choice. Choice is what makes a good
application great. Whether it's a game or a
business application, choice sells.

Just my 2 cents.....

dan