Well, I must be "Bard".  Right?  I missed the thread before
Jon's reply, but here's why I use CHECKR.

There are a lot of machines still running that don't have
the ability to use %len.  Many more than you think.  I
always try to write my software to work on the lowest OS
possible, whether IBM is "supporting" that release or not is
irrelivant.  People, and a lot of them, are still using it.

I also state in my book(s) that the %len bif can be used in
place of it.

Sorry if I'm not Bard and you were referring to someone
else. :)

Brad