Joe wrote:

> What needs to be platform independent?  The business logic or the user
> interface?  My opinion (and it most definitely is an opinion,
> your mileage
> may vary) is that the business logic has no need to be
> platform independent.
> Only software vendors need platform independent code.  People who USE
> software can decide on a hardware platform for their server
> and stick with
> it - in fact, it is unlikely that an end user will want to
> change their
> server platform, so it behooves them to pick one they can
> live with for
> years or even decades.

You illustrate my point so well... I'm the software vendor.  I need platform
independence.  I can not dictate the platform to potential clients, and
limiting myself to the 400 severely diminishes my market base, so I must be
able to run on whatever they have or are buying!  How can I write the bulk
of my business logic in RPG and still sell it to people who require a
Wintel/SQLServer solution???

> Guess what?  RPG does that just fine.  That's why I designed
> my architecture
> to support both a thick and thin client.  Right now PSC/400 only
> auto-generates the browser, but we're working on a thick
> client interface.
> Once we've standardized our thick client interface, we'll be able to
> auto-generate that as well.

I love RPG, you don't have to sell me on it's capabilities, but again, this
solution is reliant on having a 400 available.  What I'm trying to get to is
a code base that will run on the 400, or  if I can't sell a 400 solution I
need to leverage that same code to another platform and/or another database.
While I know there are other options available this is the one that holds
the most promise and answers the most of our needs.

Thanks,

Joel