Nathan,

see inline - marked by >@>@

---original message---
> From: "Richard B Baird"
> eventually I'll get a copy of all
> my CGI programs running in each RP job?

Yes, if you have enough users hitting your programs.  Or if a user double
clicks on a CGI link, the program will become activated in at least 2 RP
jobs, for example.    Programs remain active in the RP job until the HTTP
Server is shut down.  Or (as you mentioned) the RP Job is ended by the
operator.

>@>@ what happens if I change the program(s) and recompile?  do I need to
end the RPs so that the new program will be re-loaded?

> as the application grows, will this hinder or help performance
> (both of the web ap and any other batch or interactive jobs on
> the system)?

Named activation dramatically increases CGI performance, initially.  That's
because the program remains "active" after the 1st call.  If you write
enough CGI programs, and they all become active in each of the RP jobs,
you'll eventually reach a point where named activation hinders overall
system performance.

For example, 100 CGI programs and 40 RP jobs could lead to 4000 active
program instances.

>@>@ This particular app will be a little different than - it is 10 or so
cgi programs, that will be hit by as many as 300 users, all of them only
using it for a couple days at month end.  the rest of the time it'll be
idle.

>@>@ so, if I use named AGs, I would definately want to stop/restart the
server after they're done each month - so that the jobs won't remain loaded
and idle all month long... right?

> If I name my activation groups, how should I name them?
> all first level programs with the same activation group?

I can't think of a good reason to use any more than one named activation
group for all CGI programs.

>@>@ this is where I get really confused about AGs.  if they are all named
as the same activation group, what are the ramifications?  as each program
is called (in the same RP) it is added to the same AG?  Is there another
way to end an AG in this scenario that will "unload" all programs in the
AG?

Thanks,

Rick