I used to do it that way too.  It involved a lot of coding and my HTML editor's
checking routine didn't like the substitution variable inside the option tag.
Also, each option tag had to be coded in the HTML in the template.

This is what led me to write CrtTagOpt.

CrtTagOpt's disadvantage is that the option choices have to be handled in the
program, but this can be turned into an advantage by putting all the choices,
text, and defaults into a database file.  Making changes to the selection boxes
then becomes as simple as modifying records in the database file.

Here is an example of how to code it.

The HTML template might look something like this:

/$option
/%option%/

/$select
<select>

/$endselect
</select>

The RPG might look something like this, where selectedchoice = the option that
was selected; choices and choicestext are arrays of possible option values and
text.  I'm using arrays for illustrative purposes.  In the real world, a
database file might be used.

callp WrtSection('select')
for i = 1 to choices
  callp UpdHtmlVar('option':CrtTagOpt(choices(i):choicestext(i):selectedchoice))
  callp WrtSection('option')
endfor
callp WrtSection('endselect')

One of my customer's applications had many selection boxes.  We built a
database file containing all the text, values, and defaults and used CrtTagOpt
exclusively.  For optimal performance, the CGI program loaded the database
information into dynamically allocated storage.

Mel Rothman, CGIDEV2 Author
IBM eServer Custom Technology Center (eCTC), Rochester, Minnesota
http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/iseries/service/ctc/
http://www.easy400.ibm.it/en