Brad, I understand and appreciate your position.  As I've grown older,
wiser, and slower (not necessarily in that order), I'm focusing more on the
application part (getting it done right).  I like to tinker and refine; my
solution is to accept what somebody else has done because my mission is
providing applications.

One of the reasons I indicated "eRPG" is a mission-critical book is because
of the education it provides.  There is no question that you need to know
"more" when writing Internet applications because you're not dealing in the
sterile and well-defined environment of green-screen apps running over
twinax.  Were those the "good old days"?  However, the direction of
virtually every software application (application, utility, OS) is to make
it easier to use without requiring more knowledge; look at what WebFacing
does!  Accept it on faith and don't pull the covers off.  Getting through
your book makes anybody reasonably competent and able to rely on (or
critique) somebody else's routines.

However, I suggest that anybody tackling a first Internet application should
experiment with the plumbing and do some bare knuckles programming as
illustrated in your book; you really appreciate DDS after you've been stuck
by not having two NL's after your "Content-type" declaration in your HTML
file.  This is where you'll get an education.  For the rookies: HTML is
another component of your education; no matter which way you go, knowing
HTML will be valuable.

One point I failed to mention is that your approach does give you 100%
control over your environment.  If you're an organized coder, you'll be
okay; if you're disorganized, your Internet programs will become maintenance
nightmares.  Nothing different here, right?

Mel Rothman (the CGIDEV2 author) provides reference source code as well as a
*SRVPGM but if you're going to use his approach, you probably aren't
interested in making source changes.  CGIDEV2 is a labor of love for Mel;
there is no formal IBM support although Mel does answer questions as best he
can.  If you use CGIDEV2, there *may* be a time in the future when you'll
have to support it yourself.  You're supporting your own stuff now, of
course, but don't go to CGIDEV2 only because you think it's fully supported
by IBM.  It may not have IBM's formal support, but it has IBM's knowledge
embodied in it, and I think there is value in that.

Personally, I'm not interested in inventing my own wheel, and that is a
component of my decision (subject to change at any time).

Misunderstandings: you provided excellent explanations in "eRPG".  I just
wanted to make sure I had an excuse if you came back and said, "Hey, you
missed these 18 cool things I described."  The possibility still exists, of
course.

Please let us know when your new book is available!

Thanks,
Reeve