Oh!  I see.  Thanks for explaining that better.  You want to
read the file NAMEs in order, not the data.

I'm pretty sure how DOS or Windows does sorting is by
reading the contents and then sorting the data inside a
local "container".  So, in your case, I would use an array
and then sort that.  It really won't take much more time.

Brad
www.bvstools.com