Not often I disagree with Brian but ...

I leave source open forever and typically only use projects when moving code from one system to another.

But then I never use SEU so the chances of the type of conflict the OP reported are slim to none.

On the rare occasions when i suspect a problem I use a Ctrl/A, Ctrl/C approach to ensure I have a copy of the latest version in the paste buffer before moving ahead.