Dave, try and convince your manager to get you a licence. Forget about the rest of the team for now. Tell him you'd like to investigate and assess the various features and report back on your findings - i.e. you're doing research whilst also developing your skills. Tell him/her that you're prepared to invest some of your own time in the pursuit of self-development. In time, those co-workers who are interested (and feel they're mssing out) will want to adopt RDi as well. Those that don't - fine. You become the "thought leader", an agent for change.

Sounds like your shop is still maintaining/developing green-screens applications. If true, have you looked at the Screen and Report Designer tools? These are /much/ more productive than SEU/SDA/RLU for screen and print design. Well worth the investment of your time.

RDi puts the FUN back into maintenance & development, which might just stir up a little more enthusiasm and motivation for the job. (Not something you can quantify.)

Another consideration. Do you need to copy objects/files between IBM servers? Do you need to move files between PC's and IBM i servers? The RSE View alone makes the product worthwhile because of its simple copy/paste facility for moving things around. No more FTP dialogues!

(Free) plug-ins such as iSphere really make RDi sing. The graphical equivalent of DSPSPLF is a major plus, especially if you don't have IBM's ACS installed. (The ability to download a spooled file in text or PDF form is sooo handy.)

HTH,
Brian.