From: WDSCI-L <wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of Vernon
Hamberg
Sent: Saturday, October 10, 2020 12:23 PM
To: Rational Developer for IBM i <wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [WDSCI-L] RDI with V7R1?

Hi Dave - there's one statement here I want to ask about - others have
responded with more ideas.

A greenscreener doesn't
spend as much time as I do, learning new things and losing lots of
time with bugs (which I am sad to see are still often present with the
latest version of RDi).

I've been using RDi for more than 7 years at my current position and several
years before that at my previous position. I admit to having a kind of
hate-hate relationship with the early versions, all the way back to the
original WDSC.

But for the last many years, I have spent almost no time dealing with
"bugs". I also have had almost no downtime as a result - I'm having more
trouble with relatively slow network speeds while working from home.

Yes, there is a learning curve at first, but I think you will be over that
after not too much time. And there are features of RDi that are at least
difficult in PDM or SEU, if not impossible. One of my recent favorites is
the "Copy members to..." feature of RSE - it lets me copy source between
systems freely, and this just isn't possible with PDM - maybe with using the
QFileSvr.400 file system, but that's messy, if even possible.

The new PDM subsystem of RDi also lets you operate in ways familiar to you.
I don't use it, because we use the Turnover software change management
system, and that handles all that PDM would do. Nonetheless, the PDM
subsystem is very cool.

So carry on, I am convinced that the obstacles you might feel at the start
will vanish in short order.

Cheers
Vern