From: WDSCI-L [mailto:wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Edmund Reinhardt
Sent: Monday, November 27, 2017 8:50 AM
To: Rational Developer for IBM i / Websphere Development Studio Client for System i & iSeries <wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [WDSCI-L] RDI 9.6 Code Assist Bug...

Hi Ken,
I just wanted to explain what is going on with the RDi two-phased save and why we do it that way.
It is precisely because we never want anyone to lose their hard word that we do it this way.

When a file is uploaded to the IBM i, what happens on the server is that the the src-pf is cleared and then the lines/records are written to the file. This process is vulnerable because if there is a network outage in between, the new source is not completely written and the old source is lost.
To prevent this, we first upload to a temp member in the same src-pf with a name RSE<random number> and then if this is successful, we copy it to the original member. In this way there is NEVER a point where the source is lost.
In your case, there was some reason why the copy from the temporary member to the original source member failed. It was likely that this member was locked by someone else, or some other operating system reason. Actually we already detect the situation where another job has the member locked. So it must be some other reason. I can't think of a possible scenario, so I doubt it is very likely. But even so we provide a very good recovery.
This is clear example of the benefit of our 2-phased save in that your content was never at risk and could easily be recovered. That is why the message provides the member name containing the desired content .

I hope this clarifies what is going on under the covers and also restores your confidence in using the RDi tool.

HTH