From: WDSCI-L [mailto:wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Hiebert, Chris
Sent: Thursday, September 28, 2017 12:16 PM
To: Rational Developer for IBM i / Websphere Development Studio Client for System i & iSeries <wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [WDSCI-L] SVN Synchronize action does not work from i Projects perspective

-- Just because Git is new kid on the block and in the news does not mean you should jump that way.

Git came out in 2005, which subsequently is the same year that Windows XP 64-Bit Edition was released (Wikipedia) and a year *before* V5R4 came out (wiki.midrange).
The only newness is that it was just offered on the iSeries with 5733-OPS / SI61060 (2016?).

-- I read someplace most enterprises will go Subversion because they need that centralized repository.

Yes, Git is distributed.
That does not mean you don't have a Git "centralized repository".

It just means that everyone who connects to the Git repository gets a local copy of all the info needed to see history and version information.

Before reading this article comparing Git and SVN I couldn't think of any advantages of using SVN.

https://git.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/GitSvnComparison

And even after reading it I still don't see how it could be a better overall choice over Git.

Would you care to share the considerations that make SVN a better choice for your company?

Chris Hiebert
Senior Programmer/Analyst