Matt,

On the properties for the iProject, the default is to always re-create the "compile" source file. I turn that off myself.

1.) Right-Click the project, and select Properties
2.) Select the "iProject Build" & pick the build style.
I normally pick "CL Program"
3.) Click the button: "Configure..." on the right
4.) That opens the "CL Program Build Style Configuration" dialog
5.) Un-check the "Automatically generate COMPILE.CLLE prior to each build"

I love RDI, but the Navigation take a little bit to learn. And after you see it, it makes sense!. IBM i developers are intelligent and willing to learn more! Just like other Developers. Some just need help getting started.

We use the package Softlanding/Turnover, and it has built in integration for iProjects! Awesome!

RDI is so underutilized. It takes a little practice and training to get use it. I remember back in the 90's, that a fellow IBM seemed to pick up PC software packages so Fast! He was not afraid and inquisitive! He explored the different menu options in the software and figure things out. He did this by practicing different options on the software. He was the go to person, even though he had no official training!

I was showing a newbie how to use RDI and Debug. And I notice he got confused by which window had the focus. To someone use to using a dumb terminal, and a single screen, windows can be confusing. On Green Screen when you debug, it is on a single screen. When debugging with RDI you have the RDI session, and possible the Green-Screen, Batch-Job, Stored-Procedure, web-service, etc. to debug. When debugging you have to go back and forth between the screens. He was not use to that, and got confused. I politely point that out to him, and he very quickly picked up on that. He just needed a little help and direction...

Once you understand how iProjects work, it can be EXTREMELY POWERFUL. But, no doubt, there is a learning curve. Once you learn it, you wonder why we don't all use iProjects more often. I do NOT use it all the time, but the times I do it, it is extremely helpful!

I admit, I mostly use the normal non-Project. Because I can do the Ctrl+C to save and compile. That is my FAVORITE Feature of RDI 9.5.1.2. Almost instant compile and error list. Since I occasional fat-finger some code. I can instantly fix my fat-finger errors! Cool!!! <Joy Joy>

Hang in there, and endeavor to persevere through the mastery of RDI! It is worth it. Knowledge of your development tools is a must in this 21st century! <Big Smile>

-Ken Killian-