John:

> On 3/6/2017 8:19 PM, John Yeung wrote:
On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 5:52 PM, Jon Paris<jon.paris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
You mean they missed the constant nagging in PDM about "Have you tried ..." ? That message was around a long tie and you had to put some effort in to get rid of it.
When did that nagging start to appear? All the way back in the WDSC days? I personally did not see any nagging except for the relatively brief period between the time *we* finally left V5R2 and arrived at 7.1. (My manager had wanted to stop at 6.1 but fortunately our sysadmin persuaded him to at least go one step further.)

This goes back at least as far as V5R3. For example, when exiting SEU on V5R3:

Exit

Type choices, press Enter.

Change/create member . . . . . . . _N_ Y=Yes, N=No
Member . . . . . . . . . . . . . _SAMPLEPGM _ Name, F4 for list
File . . . . . . . . . . . . . . _QCLSRC _ Name, F4 for list
Library . . . . . . . . . . . . _QGPL _ Name
Text . . . . . . . . . . . . . . _Sample CL program source________________
___________
Resequence member . . . . . . . . _Y_ Y=Yes, N=No
Start . . . . . . . . . . . . . _0001.00_ 0000.01-9999.99
Increment . . . . . . . . . . . _01.00_ 00.01-99.99

Print member . . . . . . . . . . . _N_ Y=Yes, N=No

Return to editing . . . . . . . . . _N_ Y=Yes, N=No

Go to member list . . . . . . . . . _N_ Y=Yes, N=No

F3=Exit F4=Prompt F5=Refresh F12=Cancel
Have you tried the modern alternative to SEU? Press F1 for more details.

Pressing F1=Help on that message line shows:

Additional Message Information

Message ID . . . . . . : EDT0630 Severity . . . . . . . : 00
Message type . . . . . : Information
Date sent . . . . . . : 03/06/17 Time sent . . . . . . : 19:24:04

Message . . . . : Have you tried the modern alternative to SEU? Press F1 for
more details.
Cause . . . . . : WEBSPHERE DEVELOPMENT STUDIO CLIENT is part of the tool
set that you already own. It's a full set of workstation tools for server
programmers. It includes things like Web tools, Java tools, WebFacing, and a
modern tool for traditional RPG/Cobol development called Remote Systems
Explorer(RSE). Give the new tools a try. Once you've taken the time to get
familiar with RSE, you'll find you can be even more productive than with the
old text-based server tools. You can find a no-charge distance learning
course on WEBSPHERE DEVELOPMENT STUDIO CLIENT at:
http://www-306.ibm.com/software/awdtools/wdt400/library/iSeriesAppDev.html
Recovery . . . : You can disable this message display from PDM Defaults.
Bottom
Press Enter to continue.

F3=Exit F6=Print F9=Display message details
F10=Display messages in job log F12=Cancel F21=Select assistance level

Up through V5R4, WDSC-i was still bundled with the 5722-WDS WebSphere Development Studio tools. It came on 10 CDs. However, I do not believe they were included with the standard set of CDs that was shipped by IBM. You had to have your Business Partner "special order" it, or ensure it was on your original order, to get those CDs. So, that may have also contributed to the less-than-stellar adoption rate.

Hope that helps,

Mark S. Waterbury