Hi,

Once of the first things I do for the "Newbies" is to take advantage of the Colors allowed with Eclipse 4.4/Luna....

1.) >Window>Preference>General>Appearance --> Select Classic
2.) >Window>Preference>General>Appearance>Colors and Fonts
a.) Expand "View and Editor Folders"'
b.) Select colors for Active part background begin/End (White/Blue, White/Orange, White/Red, etc...)
c.) I ask for the Newbie's favorite color, and select it for them.

A different color for the "Active" windows, helps the newbies get used to RDI 9.5.0.2. Plus they have their favorite color!

It helps to eliminate confusion on what window is active. To drive the point home, I try to have the user try to a compile on the Error-List. The error list/View is active. I point out that with the Error-list selected (Highlighted in their favorite color), that you CANNOT compile an error list.

I have them click on their source member, and then try to compile again. And point out that the compile command are no longer grey out. It just seems to help a lot with the initial learning curve...

We finally have over 50% of the Developers using or at least trying RDI 9.5.0.2! WooHoo!

-Ken Killian-
Senior IBM i Developer using Rational Developer for i RDI 9.5.0.2