From: Scott Klement <wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Rational Developer for IBM i / Websphere Development Studio
Client for System i & iSeries <wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 23/02/2016 04:11 AM
Subject: Re: [WDSCI-L] Resistance to using RDi
Sent by: "WDSCI-L" <wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

John,

On 2/18/2016 9:39 AM, John Yeung wrote:

Regardless, we know that Scott's experiences and views haven't changed
all that much since then,

Wow, that is not true at all.

In 2000, WDSC was very slow, crashed a lot, and required Windows, which
was a big issue for me because I used FreeBSD as my desktop back then.
You'll note my rant was primarily about IBM forcing us to use Windows. I
always found it interesting how hard IBM made it to use anything
besides Windows when in fact Windows was its chief competitor.

However, today I use Windows as my desktop. I capitulated on that issue
somewhere around 2008 or 2009, I just got tired of fighting it.

As for RDi, it runs much better today, much less buggy, etc. I use RDi
every day, and it is my primary editor.

Take a look at the following link (this is one of the ones you cited):
http://archive.midrange.com/rpg400-l/201504/msg00126.html

It explains quite a few reasons why I use RDi, and how a bunch of it's
features make things easier on me. I also use SEU and vim quite a bit,
too. It really depends on what I'm doing. Some things are easier/faster
in those other editors -- I use whatever makes me the most productive.
But RDi is my "primary" one at this point.

My main point in those posts from last year was this idea that RDi can
give you back 8+ hours each week.

People gush about stuff like the outline view, but for me, despite that
the outline view is always up there in the corner, updating itself as I
type, I almost never find a reason to look at it. It's probably been 9
months since I had a need for it. I think it's mainly useful if you're
stuck in a shop that writes ancient, hard-to-decipher, code.

Despite my disagreement about how much time it saves, my opinion on RDi
has changed dramatically since 2000 -- going from hating it to making it
my main editor.

-SK