I am power user of RDP, and love it!

But, using an I.D.E, an Integrated Develop/Debug Environment should be able to debug code. Among many other reasons, that is a main reason I use an IDE like RDP.

I told my boss, I was completely happy using WDSC 7.0. And that I don't think the company should purchase RDI/RDP. Mostly because most Developers were NOT even using, nor even trying WDSC.

But, I am VERY GLAD that my company DID purchase the upgrade to RDP However! <Big Smile>

The company did this when getting new Power system hardware and upgrading the IBM i to Version 7 (V7R1M0). I assume they got a Package deal with other updates.

Upgrade from WDSC 7.0 to RDP 8.0, I like that the outline line view refreshes is much faster. And inside RDP 8.5.1 the remote Search can even run in the background thread. I find myself using that more now! Cool!

It just surprises me, than existing functionality, like "DEBUG a job", that has worked in previous release of WDSC, RDI, RDP has magically gotten "BROKEN" in RDP 8.5. <Disappointment> Along with "memory Leaks" that forced a crash of LPEX. Didn't happen that often on previous releases.

Thank God that at least RDP 8.0 can debug and find the source to debug!!!
<JOY JOY>

I am no longer going to "JUMP" on RDP updates, after this last Terrible update to RDP 8.5. I will stick with what works RDP 8.0 & WDSC 7.0.

I had rarely had crashes with WDSC 7 & RDP 8.0. Which I attributed to a lot of copy & pasting, etc... But, most of that went away, when I saved my code more often, rather than typing for hours without a save. <smirk> yes, I did turn on the auto save, but I also do a Manual save with CTRL+S.

The other Developers are NOT as patient as me. As soon as they encounter a problem with RDP, they say FORGET, I am sticking with SEU. Such a shame, but I can't blame them either. They say SEU just "WORKS" with no problems.

But, for me, I will continue to use an IDE, like RDP 8.0. But I have experience with other IDE's like JBuilder & Visual Studio. Maybe that is why I am more patient.

But, I am still a BIG FAN of RDP!

But, I will NOT jump on the next update/release; I will other let brave people debug a new release.

-Ken Killian-
Senior Developer RPGLE (22-years)