From: wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Xuan Chen
Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2013 3:44 PM
To: Rational Developer for IBM i / Websphere Development Studio Client for System i & iSeries
Subject: Re: [WDSCI-L] RDP 8.5.1 debug problem: "Source not found."

Ken,
I tried to reproduce your scenario, but I cannot. Debugger works fine when attaching to a running job (the application has a unmonitored exception).
Is your program OPM or ILE, and does what kind of debug views it has (*ALL, or *LISTING)? If *ALL, is the source member is the same location where the program is compiled?

And please also start your RDp with the following modification of eclipse.ini file (it should be in the installation directory of yoru RDp):
Remove "-Xnolinenumbers" from the file.

After RDp is restarted, please set this checkbox in the preferences:
Run/Debug -> Compiled Debug -> Trace engine connection

When you encounter this problem, please send me the .log file from your workspace's .metadata directory.

And there should also be some epdcdumpXX.hex files in the .metadata directory. Please me the latest one (this one should be corresponding to the debug session which has problem).

Thanks,

Xuan Chen, Problem Determination Tools for IBM i
(905) 413-3769 T/L 313-3769
xuanchen@xxxxxxxxxx

Ken Killian
<kkillian@usxpres
s.com> To
Sent by: "Rational Developer for IBM i /
wdsci-l-bounces@m Websphere Development Studio Client
idrange.com for System i & iSeries"
<wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
16/01/2013 03:19
PM Subject
Re: [WDSCI-L] RDP 8.5.1 debug
problem: "Source not found."
Please respond to
Rational
Developer for IBM
i / Websphere
Development
Studio Client
for System i &
iSeries
<wdsci-l@midrange
.com>

I worded that wrong...

I mean to debug and EXAMINE ONLY, and see what cause the Bad Data-issue from a vendor web-service...

Production Debug is to quickly diagnose any error, to provide immediate cause of the error.

By correct the error, I meant find the Error in debug, and do an emergency check-out and update. And then re-promote in the morning, for paper work.
Get manager approval, etc...

So by "Fix", I meant find the error, and check-out and fix....

I ended up ending the job, adding a SEP debug, and then restart to find the error. Which was a big pain. Since I had to wait 5-minutes for the auto restart. And because I was tired, I forgot to change the Debug User profile to QUSER, instead of my own. On Debug-Job, I can use "*" for the current job-number and Job-user. Very nice!

Oh well, it is sort of complicated. I am actually pull data from a web-service into an xml file.

I use SEP 99% of the time anyway. I have grown to like that over the Debug-Job.

But, as stated before, it worked on WDSC 6.0, WDSC 7.0, RDP 7.5, RDP 7.6, RDP 8.0, and RDP 8.0.3. Not sure if I missed any release. Only have been using this I.D.E. for 7-years...

-Ken Killian-
(423) 510-3129