In your case, you would need Rational Developer for Power Systems with the RPG and COBOL Tools for i feature code. You'll have an initial acquisition cost and ongoing maintenance apart from RAD.

It sounds like you're already covered under a RAD license, so you shouldn't need anything beyond this additional thing. It will install into RAD.
From: wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] on behalf of Dan [dan27649@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, November 22, 2011 9:49 AM
To: Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries
Subject: [WDSCI-L] Rational Application Developer questions

I work in an "outpost" for a very large company; while our i system
investment is significant for our division, it is only one of two small
divisions that use it. Recently, an email was sent to all IT users across
the enterprise who were identified as having Eclipse installed on their
PC. The email explained that "Rational Application Developer (RAD) is our
enterprise standard IDE tool for developing applications on the IBM
WebSphere Application Server. The best news is - our Enterprise License
Agreement with IBM enables us to provide RAD to you at no cost to your
disbursement code."

I am told that our particular installation image is set up for web
development, not i (RPG, CL) development. We have the WebSphere
Development Studio installed on our V6R1 i, which, FWIW, includes the
Application Development ToolSet.

Given this information, the question is, can this RAD setup be customized
to allow our group to develop RPG, CL, Java apps on the i? If yes:
* are there other licenses required?
* at what additional cost?
* what else do I need to know? (Hard to ask questions I don't know to ask!)

TIA,
- Dan