On Aug 10, 2011, at 11:01 AM, wdsci-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Personally, I would suggest uninstalling and re-installing in another location.

Tried that - and no difference.

But for the record - I do at least now have some vague idea s to what caused the problem and have fixed it - so just in case it happens to anyone else ...

I had installed to C:\Programs ... because of an earlier suggestion here to avoid the x64 (?) directory. That avoided the slow-down and other issues I had been experiencing. But as noted when I tried to install fix 3 - boom.

Tried David's suggestion of completely different directories - same problem when I installed the update - BUT - one big difference. The next time I reinstalled (one more time with feeling) for some reason I decided to click on the "Show all versions" box and after deep and profound thought it informed me that .3 was what was being installed! I went ahead and installed and after all was working went back and tried to Update option again. This time it told me (correctly) that I was up-to-date and no fixes were found.

So - it appears the original failure was caused by problems with the install directory. Subsequently it went wrong apparently because it got confused over fix levels and tried to re-apply an existing fix. Subsequently it got straightened away (because I forced it to check its version?) and now all is OK.

That's 6 hours I won't get back - but at least all is now working again. Worse than the 6 hours lost time was the 60 minutes spent with SEU (shudder) because I had some fixes I had to make.

Thanks to all for the many suggestions.

Jon Paris

www.partner400.com
www.SystemiDeveloper.com