The Linux world is getting better but my primary complaint is that some applications (not necessarily desktop apps) still need to be compiled and recompiled when there are kernel upgrades (Asterisk is one of those). But in general the desktop world in Linux is pretty trouble free.

Given that XP will no longer be sold after the end of this month, there is will an opportunity for an "XP Replacement" in the market until Windows 7 is released. I'd love to get a few of my customers to embrace a Linux/OpenOffice/Firefox/Thunderbird environment.

As for spending all of my time in Linux, I still cannot until we get a RBD/RDi version that runs in Linux. If I could get *that* then I could spend 95% of my time in Linux (I am running OpenSUSE 11.1).

Someday......

Pete

Aaron Bartell wrote:
Now just imagine how fast your desktop would be without ANY anti-virus
slowing it down. Welcome to the world of Ubuntu Linux:
http://www.ubuntu.com

I have been trying out Linux on my desktop for about the past year now and
while it does have it's issues (the kind that can only surface after a
years worth of use) I must say that I love the fact I have my CPU back to
just being used by my processes and NOT by anti-virus (which seems to run
extensively for most communications and operations I perform on my Windows
PC).

Just a plug for anybody else that might want to try out the next
generation of desktop computing :-)

Aaron Bartell
http://mowyourlawn.com