On 16-Jul-08, at 4:09 PM, Joe Pluta wrote:

I absolutely advise clients they can run production applications on
WebSphere Express with no loss of performance. Do you advise clients
that they should run on Zend Core for production?

Well I learnt something new today. I thought that the built-in app server was the only "free" IBM supported on on the box now. Glad to hear I'm wrong.

As to advising people to use Zend Core for production - absolutely - it is a hardened, pre-configured version of the open-source PHP with built-in PTF support etc. If it is mission critical I advise them to get an extended service contract and to consider Platform if performance becomes an issue.

You asked about production users of Core - I know Zend are building lists of these, but I don't have that right now. One of the problems of there being no fees associated is that you don't know who's using it! If you counted all the downloads then no doubt Pluta Brothers would show up as a user. Partner400 would for sure but I would not count what we have as "production".

I do know, as one example, that Harris Data are replacing all of their web front-end code with PHP (they were using Net.Data before) and extending their web capabilities with PHP. They covered it at the User Conference (http://www.harrisdata.com/cusConf2008AgendaDetailed.htm). Also this site: http://www.rugerauction.com/index.php is a production user that I was made aware of recently.

Jon Paris

www.Partner400.com
www.SystemiDeveloper.com