Hi, Aaron:
>>>---> private reply "off-list" <---<<<

I am curious to see what your "formal petition" looks like... perhaps I can volunteer to proof-read a DRAFT copy?

Also, I found this on your web site at www.mowyourlawn.com ...

I have an idea. This idea would change the landscape for RPG
developers needing to develop GUI applications in the RPG
environment without the need for Java or .NET knowledge. So what is
this idea? Well, it is the next product I hope to release through my
company, Krengel Technology. You see, I have already developed a
working prototype in another environment so most of the plumbing has
been figured out. Now all I have to do is port it to the System i
RPG environment. If you are interested in being a beta customer for
this product please email me at aaronbartell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Could you tell me a little more about this? Who knows? Perhaps I might even be interested in a "beta test"?

Thanks,

Mark

> Aaron Bartell wrote:
I agree, it would be great to see IBM come out with an RPG centric way to
produce graphical applications without requiring us to learn any new
languages. Stay tuned for a formal petition initiative I am putting
together that attempts to address this and communicate to the powers that be
at IBM that we want RPG centric GUI.

If I had to choose I would go with PHP as an alternative to RPG CGI, simply
because of all the open source stuff out there and all of the talent that
could be hired, and then I would probably entertain some sort of Java
framework whether it be EGL or Grails or Spring. I guess in the end I would
do my best to keep everything on the iSeries server, which mostly means I
would NOT be modernizing with Microsoft products.

Some of the RPG CGI vendors are making nice progress with their tooling.
Have you checked out the latest 100% RPG "web browser" tool name Valence
from CNXCorp? (http://cnxcorp.com/valence/) Then there's RPGsp from
Profound Logic and RSP from ProData.

Aaron Bartell
http://mowyourlawn.com