<< I guess my point is, if you can do this with EGL and RPG this easily,
then you need a strong argument as to why you would use anything else.>>

I can make all this stuff -and very complete business app- using only RPG +
html + a little js and css.
this the most similar way to the way developers uses RPG+SDA, "simply"
changing SDA/dds for "easy" html forms,
but this is not the "IBM way" nor the "IBM product" and, sure, neither is
only copy-paste.

but the problem is not what/how can develop you or myself or some other
concrete guy, but the general oppinion in the market about the plattform.

the "i" developers don't have a guidelines nor concrete product coming from
IBM,
but can see concrete directions in MS or "gratis total" approach in using
php.

really do you think EGL is at same level of customers or market knowing?
and EGL is not from a few monts ago, and is confusing even in the price and
info/tutorials.

thus, when tools are based in java (also you can see the very thin adption
or real use of webfacing) the customers prefers going to other ways.

surely it are needed to be an java advocated, I've try the java and egl way,
frustrating, maybe too late. old dog and new tricks....

Best Wishes,
Guillermo.