I haven't had to use a custom compile in a while as we moved to ACMS for
change management a while back, but I dug out one, and with playing
around this is the minimum setup that I've been able to get working:

Command in WDSC: KEVIN/WDSCCOMP PGM(&N) SRCLIB(&L) SRCFILE(&F) /*
*EVENTF SRCMBR(&N) */

Command on the iSeries:

CMD PROMPT('WDSC Compile')
PARM KWD(PGM) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(10) MIN(1) +
PROMPT('Program:')
PARM KWD(SRCLIB) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(10) MIN(1) +
PROMPT('Source Lib:')
PARM KWD(SRCFILE) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(10) MIN(1) +
PROMPT('Source File:')

Cl that processes the command.
PGM PARM(&PGM &SRCLIB &SRCFILE)
DCL VAR(&PGM) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(10)
DCL VAR(&SRCLIB) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(10)
DCL VAR(&SRCFILE) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(10)
/* SIMPLE COMPILE EXAMPLE */
CHGCURLIB CURLIB(KEVIN)
CRTRPGPGM PGM(KEVIN/&PGM) SRCFILE(&SRCLIB/&SRCFILE) +
OPTION(*SRCDBG)
MONMSG MSGID(CPF0000)
CHGDTAARA DTAARA(*LDA (1 10)) VALUE('KEVIN ')
CHGDTAARA DTAARA(*LDA (11 10)) VALUE(&PGM)
ENDPGM