What version of windows are you running on it?
We still use WIN2K here. I have both XP and Vista at home (not 64bit). I
can't really try out WDSC on the vista system, the VPN uses a product
called ipass to connect to back to work, and they didn't support vista
last time I looked. Has there been any status on what operating systems
RDi will be supported on? I know more than a few people would love to see
linux or osx supported. I'd be happy for actual vista support, not just,
yeah I can run it, but IBM won't help me on my non supported pc.

smorrison@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent by: wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
02/22/2008 03:44 PM
Please respond to
Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries <wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries <wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Re: [WDSCI-L] Will RDi finally support 64 bit OS?

That said, I am running 8 GB RAM on a fairly new PC. If I could
get 8 GB to work in XP I am sure the performance would be better.
I am running the Vista SP1 RC, which made a night & day difference
in regards to performance. I noticed that Vista 64 eats up 1.1 GB
of RAM at idle, so 2 GB should be considered a bare minumum. If
you need to run WDSC in a VM, then 64 bit OS and 4 GB should be
the minimum, so you can dedicate 1.5 or 2 GB to the WDSCi virtual
machine.

I don't think we need to overspec a system. I'm running WDSC V7 on a Dell
Optiplex 740 PC. This system has AMD Athlon Dual Core 4600+, 2.4 Ghz
processor with 2 GB RAM. This system comfortably runs WDSC, Lotus Notes, 3

or more Client Access sessions, Iseries Navigator, Firefox web browser,
all the time, with occasional use of other MS Office apps. It also has
high performance disk drives which does reduce startup times. But these
drives rattle the PC when the heads are seeking, and I don't normally hear

that during the day.

IBM has reduced the memory requirements for WDSCi V7 as compared to WDSCi
V6, and has also made some of the components that had been required in V6
optional in V7.

This system cost about $800 6 or 9 months ago (without monitor), and it is

quite capable of running all of my workload.

Steve

Steven Morrison
Fidelity Express