From: wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Joe Pluta
Sent: Friday, February 08, 2008 10:15 AM
To: Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries
Subject: Re: [WDSCI-L] Upgrade EGL from WDSc 6 to WDSc 7

Justin Taylor wrote:
Before I get too deep in using the trial version of EGL, does anyone
know how much it costs per license? I know that will be one the first
things that my boss asks.

Isn't that always? <grin>

EGL will require RDi-SOA, which I think currently has no set pricing but

I suspect is going to be around $1500 a seat. IBM needs input from us,
of course, as to what we'll be willing to pay, and hopefully it won't
cost the whole amount, either. What I mean is that hopefully you'll be
able to go from ADTS to RDi for free, then upgrade from RDi to RDi-SOA
for an incremental charge of, say, $700 a seat.

I think that's fair, by the way. If you see what EGL can do, then $700
is a good price, simply in programmer productivity hours. But like Buck

already mentioned, it's hard to get $79 for a book, while on the other
end of the spectrum, IBM is pushing for revenue. Developers are stuck
in the middle.

Which, by the way, is why I fought so hard to try and keep the
all-in-one model. I've lost that battle; IBM is going to user-based
pricing like the rest of the industry, but tier-based pricing sure kept
things simple, didn't it?

Joe