Dave Shaw skrev den 04-02-2008 20:02:
Buck,

Exactly. For some reason, my employer's customer number is a closely guarded secret, and of course all problem reports have to go through the 'proper channels'. I guess somebody, either on our side or IBM's, doesn't want 150 developers talking to IBM directly.

It is very interesting to see the difference in attitude between the Eclipse users and the WSDCi users (not intending to offend anybody BTW).

Eclipse users actively throw in bug reports, enhancement requests and suggestions of how to do things, and the development effort is very clear as you get the feeling that the Eclipse project appreciate this and that the users are a part of each bug resolving. It is hard to explain in writing, but I get the feeling that my input is valuable and important, both as a reporter but also in order to figure out how to solve it (if a discussion is needed). The barrier to getting stuff to the Eclipse project is low, just create a user on bugzilla.

Is the WSDCi customer potential so big that the traditional IBM approach can pay off? Basically I suspect that IBM want to sell hardware, not software as such.

Thorbjørn