Buck wrote:
Sorry for being so terse. There are 7 of us all told and two of us use WDSC and I'm the only one who uses COMPILE (well my own antique home grown version. I ought to go get Alan's.) The others tend to use PDM option 14 which means that I need to keep my source exactly compatible with their habits.

First I should say that I'm not actually a COMPILE user yet, mainly due to the same reason as you. It just occurred to me that because the COMPILE commands are just comments, it shouldn't be a problem for me to start using it if no one else does. Can a COMPILE user confirm this?

> Part of the issue is compiling members (like LFs) that don't require
> editing. Should I go through the effort of copying the source to the
> iSeries Projects library and compiling them through WDSC specifically
> to capture the compile command for COMPILE.CLLE?

I believe that Alan recently added a feature to allow the COMPILE 'script' in a source member to specify which objects that member depends on. IIRC, the command is CHECKOBJ or something like that. So if I followed the documentation correctly, in your LF case you would put something along these lines in your source member:

// CHECKOBJ *LIBL/LOGICAL1
// CHECKOBJ *LIBL/LOGICAL2
// CRTRPGMOD *LIBL/MODULE

Here is what the COMPILE readme says about CHKOBJECT
Example:
Create a service program. Check to make sure module exists before binding

*_> DLTSRVPGM SRVPGM(@5/@4)
*_> CHKOBJECT OBJNAME(@5/XVIFSX_M01) OBJTYPE(*MODULE) +
*_> SRCFILE(@2/@1) SRCMBR(XVIFSX_M01)
*_> CRTSRVPGM SRVPGM(@5/@4) MODULE(XVIFSX_M01) +
*_> SRCFILE(@2/@1) SRCMBR(XVIFSX_B) BNDSRVPGM(XVERRH) +
*_> TEXT('Integrated File System-Common Functions.') +
*_> ACTGRP(QILE) BNDDIR(QC2LE)

where
/* Prepare substitution data. Current parameters are:
/*
/* @1 = Source file.
/* @2 = Source file library.
/* @3 = Source member.
/* @4 = Object name.
/* @5 = Object library.
/* @6 = Optimize *YES or *NO (Original Program Model.
/* @7 = Object owner.
/* @8 = Optimize ILE.
/* @9 = ILE Module Debug View.

I hope that is useful, even if it is only conjecture.