Adam Glauser wrote:
Buck wrote:
The reason to capture the compile commands is so I can re-create all the related objects in my test library during testing, but mostly so I can recreate them all once the source gets moved back to production. The problem isn't the compilation, so much as identifying the members to be compiled.

I'm not quite sure what you mean here. I think you could all of the necessary source in the iSeries project, and have 'COMPILE &L/&N' as your last compile command for each source type. Then, when you do your 'Remote Actions -> Generate COMPILE.CLLE', you would have a script to build all of the objects into the test library associated with your project.

Sorry for being so terse. There are 7 of us all told and two of us use WDSC and I'm the only one who uses COMPILE (well my own antique home grown version. I ought to go get Alan's.) The others tend to use PDM option 14 which means that I need to keep my source exactly compatible with their habits.

If I were the only programmer, I would definitely go this route. Automating this stuff is way better than manual steps.

Part of the issue is compiling members (like LFs) that don't require editing. Should I go through the effort of copying the source to the iSeries Projects library and compiling them through WDSC specifically to capture the compile command for COMPILE.CLLE?

Maybe that's the right thing to do but it feels funny because now I have two classes of members: those I edited and those I didn't. If I automate the push back into production, I'll be altering the member last changed date on members I didn't actually change.

Could be I'm over thinking all this.

I'll see if I can't get everyone to use COMPILE as a matter of habit. --buck