From: Buck

WDSC is not a PDM-killer.

It is for all but the simplest tasks.

It is a pretty good IDE, slightly better than
PDM because of more screen real estate and coloured tokens. That's it.

Not true. WDSC has far superior search capabilities. The integrated
compile errors far surpasses the WRKSPLF/PDM combination. The ease of
creating multiple compile commands is outstanding. Copying source between
systems is a breeze.

And if all of this even if you're just maintaining old RPG III code. If
you're using RPGLE, the Outline view and Service Entry Points are far more
productive than PDM and SEU.

Even if it was just real estate and color, it would be worth it, but the
other features above (and many others beside) make staying with PDM and SEU
very hard to justify.

And all of this is WITHOUT the "wasted disk space" of all the web tools
available, and the Java tools, and all the help documentation, and the
tutorials, and all the other things that can make your life so much better
once you move out of the monolithic green screen paradigm.

I agree with everything you've said, and I think the key to adopting
WDSC is setting reasonable expectations, or perhaps accepting the
product for what it currently is, rather than what people think it
promises to be in the future.

WDSC is better than SEU and PDM for all but the simplest jobs.

Oh, and SDA <grin>.

Joe