Thank you Cheri,

This is the kind of basic info I was looking for.
So... if I understand you correctly, the only thing that needs to be
running on the production iSeries for WebFacing is the WebFacing
server/service?

I don't understand what you're saying about HATS though, what needs to be
running on the production iSeries for HATS to function, something has to
do the 5250 stream translation on the fly?

What about the combined WDHT product that is both WebFacing and HATS
together, which is what I believe we will be wanting to use in the end
because we have common system calls (like wrksplf) built into our
application that can not be WebFaced.

I just want to get a good idea as a programmer what I need to tell the
system admin folks as to what will need to be installed and running for a
WebFaced/HATS application to run on each iSeries.

John.

"Cheri Duchrow" <cduchrow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
06/15/2007 08:19 AM
Please respond to
Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries <wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
Re: [WDSCI-L] What exactly needs to be installed and started on theiSeries
for Webfacing and HATS.

Your networking and DNS entries all have to be setup and in place and I am

in no means an expert in all of that but if that is setup correctly the
only
thing you need to running on the iSeries for WebFacing or HATS is to have
the WebFacing server/service started on the iSeries.

You can have a Windows server that is running the Apache HTTP server and
you
can purchase a license to run WAS on a windows machine. You can deploy
your
ear file to this Windows server and as long as your network is setup that
the windows server can find your iSeries host and you may have to open a
few
ports your application should work. If you have a WebFaced application
then
you will need the WebFacing server piece started on the iSeries. For HATS

no special piece needed on the iSeries.

Here is a link to IBM WebFacing Troubleshooting that may give you some
insight or what is needed on the iSeries
http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=3239&context=SSZND2&dc=DA400&uid=swg27005905&loc=en_US&cs=UTF-8&lang=en&rss=ct3239websphere

You will want to make sure that you have the latest PTFs on. As well as
they are slowly changing and merging WebFacing and WDHT(HATS) and
depending
on what version of V5R3 etc will depend on whether these products use
interactive cycles and whether you need a license for WebFacing etc. The
beauty is that with WDSc you can develop and try this out before making a
decision
HTH
Cheri

<jwallroff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
.
Would someone please answer a couple questions for me about what HATS
and
Webfacing.

I am working on a project to Web enable a green screen application with
instances running on 100 different iSeries boxes. The application is
the
same on each box, the only difference is the data.

What exactly needs to be installed on each individual iSeries for
Webfacing and HATS to work on that box.

I understand that the application server doesn't have to be running on
the
iSeries itself, such as is the case when we are developing in WDSC and
using the provided WAS server running on the PC.
But... in the Webfacing project you specify a specific Host name.
Is there a way to have the project published to one Web
application server and have a "portal" or initial page allow the user to
select which "Host" iSeries to connect to or can a project only have one
"Host"? Or do you have to have an individual project for each iSeries
"Host"????

Thank you.
--
This is the Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries (WDSCI-L)