Darrell,

From my point of view, there are 2 separate issues to get used to with using
WDSCi for coding: the editor itself, and RSE for working with the source members. I'm just making the transition myself, although for me it's after years of using the combination of the CODE editor and PDM. The editor transition is easy, since in a lot of ways the WDSCi editor is a superset of CODE. I'm finding the outline view to be a great productivity improver over CODE, and well worth the move. You will be surprised once you get used to the editor at how much more productive it is over SEU - even things like color coding that you don't think will help you much now will soon become addictive when you really begin using the editor, and you'll eventually find that SEU will seem clunky and frustrating, especially when you're analyzing existing code for changes. Of course, I used Flex/Edit from '93 to '99 and CODE from '99 to just a couple of weeks ago, so I'm predisposed to prefer any PC editor over SEU.

RSE seems to be the difficulty for me. I'm not yet at the point where I can create a filter and open a member nearly as quickly as I can look in a source file with PDM and key the option for CODE (or SEU) to open it. Maybe there are productivity advantages there, but I haven't achieved them yet. I suspect that that's the more intimidating part of WDSCi for most PDM users. I think it's worth it for the editor, though.

Just my thoughts.

Dave Shaw
Mohawk Industries

----- Original Message ----- From: <DLee@xxxxxxxx>
To: "Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries" <wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, March 23, 2007 3:12 PM
Subject: Re: [WDSCI-L] websphere udate for 6.0.0.1

Buck;

It's slower for me than pdm probably because I've used it since around 89,
when the iseris came out.  I get around it well since I use the mouse to
move my cursor, or the tab, whichever is the proper tool at the time.
Color coding doesn't ring my bell, not anything I would ever use anyway.
I still haven't made it split the screen so I can see the same source in
two views.  Probably don't have all the updates for 6.0.0.1
Haven't attempted to do anything "wild" like use the debugger.
I see on this forum, lots of people struggling with something that's
supposedly been a working product for years.
Frankley, with the projects I currently have, I need to use green for now.

Appreciate your thoughts.

Darrell Lee
Information Technology
Extension 7127